Thursday, October 6, 2016

Something to share . . .

Something struck me the other day.  I realised that, when I hear something interesting, or make a surprising discovery, my immediate impulse is to share it with you.
You may well have noticed how frequently I start these letters with the words, 'May I share something . . . ?'

Why, I wondered to myself, do I have this need to share?   Do we all have it?  If so, why this need to reach out and communicate?

And there's more to it than that.  Who in my mind, am I communicating with?
The contact feels intimate, not remote . . . almost like a bee returning to the hive, or a drop of water returning to the ocean.

If you remember, we spoke the other week about The Wood Wide Web, the communication network below the ground that links all trees in a common understanding.
This would seem to be the human equivalent . .  . a network, independent of the internet, that subtly connects us all in ways beyond our understanding.
I'm sure you've known such occasions . . .  a friend comes into your mind and then, seconds later, that same person phones you.  Inexplicable . . . but strangely satisfying.

These thoughts were triggered by an email I received this week.  It was sent to remind me of Global Oneness Day, an event which takes place on October 24th.

Did you know of Global Oneness Day?
It was launched in 2010 with the support of over a hundred and fifty countries, and the backing of the U.N.
Over the past six years it has grown steadily in scope and influence.

As the organisers say on their website:

"Today Oneness is expressed through many diverse streams - religions, philosophies, ancient/indigenous traditions, and science.  These streams are overflowing their banks, commingling, and converging to form a single stream, a universal Oneness movement.
Global Oneness Day is our day to celebrate unity in our diversity . . . "


If those words have encouraged you to learn more, and to discover the names of the fifty speakers who'll be taking part in this year's online celebrations, click here.

In an increasingly troubled and fragmented world, a world where we lean towards self-interest rather than service, caution rather than compassion,  the message of Global Oneness Day is ever more relevant.

I hope to participate on October 24th . . . will you join me?