Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Under The Skin


                                                               Under The Skin

                                                                          *
 

                   Come, meet me in the dark with outstretched hands,
                   I would not know your colour or your kind;
                   And do not speak, in case my biased mind
                   Forms judgement long before it understands
                   The words you use.  Conceal from me the lands
                   You've travelled through, the culture that's entwined
                   In all your thoughts, the politics you find
                   Acceptable, the ground where your faith stands.
                   If I could come as nakedly as you,
                   Abandoning my way of life and creed,
                   Forgetting those ideas I'm closest to
                   And recognising what I really need;
                   Could we, for just a moment, see right through
                   Our diverse layers to our common seed?