Sunday, January 27, 2019

A Blue boyfriend

Hello, it's Chloe here . . . my Mum's out at the moment, so may I share some rather exciting news?

My life, as you know, is spent mostly with my Mum . . .  and with other humans. True, there's the occasional meeting with a fox or a squirrel, but, by and large, it's just humans I have for company. Not that I'm complaining . . . I like humans . . . humans like me.

Do I miss other cats?
Well, between you and me, I've never even considered that question.

Not, that is, until the other day when Mum and I were in the garden.   I was walking down the path, minding my own business, and . . . well, you'll never believe what happened next.

My whiskers positively quivered with amazement . . .  a very large, ginger cat was striding up the path straight towards to me!

Where had he come from?
True, he was rather handsome, but such a confident approach needed to be put in its place  . . .  I looked him in the eye and hissed! I hissed loudly . . .  even if his intentions were honourable, he needed to know straight away that I was no pushover!

I must admit that his response surprised me.  Instead of backing off, or hissing in return, he curled himself around my Mum's legs, blinked a lot at her . . . blinked a lot at me . . . and then sat down on the grass.

Now that I could see him properly, there was no denying the facts. He was, indeed, a very fine cat.

My Mum read the tag on his collar and told me that his name was Blue. It would be nice for me to have a friend, she said, and stroked Blue on his head . . . I wasn't at all sure that I agreed with her.

As Blue didn't seem to want to leave us, my Mum lifted me up onto a garden seat.

This was a good move on her part . . .  it meant that I was higher up than he was, and could study this unexpected new arrival from a safe position.

But do you know what he did?
He crossed the lawn, made his way under the seat, and started blinking up at me through the slats. It seemed a little rude to hiss back at such a very polite approach . . . so I decided to blink instead.

Oh my . . . that certainly encouraged him! Seconds later, he'd jumped up on the seat . . .  settling himself at the other end, where he sat and washed his paws. I was more than a bit startled by this move, but, yes, I must admit it . . .  he did seem a very clean and well-mannered cat.

Finally, after we'd been sitting there for quite a while, my Mum said that we should be going in.
And, do you know, I wouldn't say this to my Mum, but I was quite sorry.

Anyway, when we went into the garden today who should reappear . . . ? Yes, you've guessed it . . .   it was Blue.
As you can see in this photo, we're now on friendly 'sit and look at each other and blink' terms.

Perhaps my Mum was right after all. Wouldn't you agree that, if a cat should happen to be thinking about having a friend, Blue has the perfect credentials?

He's persistent, he's handsome and he's very polite. What's more, he's not as fortunate as I am. He seems to be all on his own. He certainly doesn't have a lead with a Mum on the other end.

I wonder, do you think my Mum might consider asking him to tea?
It's quite possible that he's never tried lemon cake . . .

We'll see what happens, . . . and, I promise you, if there's any news to report I'll put my paws straight back on this keyboard and tell you all about it!