Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Blessings and benefits

Two weeks ago, when I had the shock of the breast cancer diagnosis, I asked if you'd be good enough to share any unexpected benefits.

But what I'd like to share today is something far greater.
We won't call it a benefit . . . we'll call it a blessing.
What is it?
Quite simply . . . it's all of you.  I've been overwhelmed by your kindness, love,  support, and by the positivity of your response.

How could I fail to be uplifted by the thoughts, the emails, the letters, the flowers and the cards.  You've made unexpected visits . . . you've helped me to laugh.

What with a highly-motivated therapy cat, one who keeps me active and entertained, and such wonderful friends to support me through the treatment ahead . . . I'm lost in gratitude.
And, as gratitude is healing, then you've already set me firmly on the road to recovery . . . thank you, thank you more than I can say.

I also need to express gratitude for all those who are caring for me at The Royal Marsden.  How could I feel other than positive after encountering such support, efficiency and kindness?

And if, as yet, there are no unexpected benefits, there was certainly an unexpected pleasure.
Whilst flat on my back, with the lump undergoing a thorough examination, what did the nurse and I discuss?  Something far more interesting than unwanted lumps, it was the fascinating topic of her pet tortoise and hedgehog!

But let's pause at that juncture.  I'll return after my visit to the hospital tomorrow.  This time they'll be giving me the results of all the tests they took, and offering suggestions for treatment.

Please . . . be with me in spirit.

                     *                  *                  *                  *                  *                  *

Let me bring you up-to-date.

All being well, if I pass the CT scans planned for next week, my unwanted lump is scheduled to be removed on September 27th.  What's more, I'll be going into hospital in the morning and back home before the evening . . . an unexpected benefit meaning that Chloe won't have to spend a night on her own.

So,  I've the blessing of you. . . . the blessing of Chloe
. . .  the benefit of coming home within the day . . . gratitude for your loving support . . . and yet more gratitude for The Royal Marsden's Hospital's wonderful efficiency.

Surely that's enough by way of blessings, benefits and gratitude to ensure a complete recovery.