Monday, July 28, 2014

Something to share . . .

Quite a while ago we pondered on the power of the 'koan' . . . do you remember?

The 'koan', the unanswerable question . . . best illustrated, perhaps, by the well-known Zen question, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

Wouldn't you agree that this picture is, in effect, a visual koan?

Directly I saw it I knew that I wanted to share it with you.

It offers no theories, no ideas, no arguments or messages  . . . just a feast for the eyes and a resting-point for the questing mind . . . it certainly needs no additional words from me.

Now . . .  if you've enjoyed that, and have an hour to spare, may I share something else?

It's a film shown recently on BBC4.

It can best be described as a visual feast . . . superbly constructed . . . cogently argued . . . in all, a memorable experience.
May I recommend that you have it on full-screen, it warrants as much space as it can get.

Do you know what I enjoy most about writing these letters?
It's the pleasure of sharing with you the things I value . . . the ideas, discoveries and stories that mean a lot to me.

Here, to move you to awe, and also to give you pause for thought, is the perfect example . . .

'Our Planet From The Air'