Monday, July 20, 2009

The Ageing Process!

Alas, how fragile are our cherished illusions!

Before going to the High Street this morning, I needed to go to the post office. After posting a parcel, and stocking up on stamps, I started to make my way south. It was a sunny morning, a good morning for a walk. However, I hadn't sauntered for more than fifty yards when a bus came alongside . . .
Oh, what a temptation! My healthy walk abandoned, I hailed the bus and jumped aboard.
Spotting a vacant seat near the front, I sat down.

Birthdays may come and go, but, in my mind I'm thirty-nine. I've been thirty-nine for as long as I can remember, and I intend to stay thirty-nine into the indefinite future. Thirty-nine is a comfortable age to be. A good age to remain.
At the next stop an elderly lady with a profusion of shopping bags struggled onto the bus. As would be right and proper for any fit, thirty-nine-year-old, I rose to my feet and offered her my seat. She thanked me profusely and sat down. But, hardly had I moved an inch towards the middle of the bus when another lady leaped up out of her seat and took my arm.
"Do take mine," she urged me.
"No, no," I countered, "I'm getting out at the next stop."
But the dream was shattered. Until that moment I'd felt thirty-nine, I'd been confident that I looked thirty-nine . . . I got off the bus feeling . . . well, we won't go into that, but I'm sure you get the drift!

Needless to say, I'm far too vain to include this sad story on the blog!!